Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Progression...

So I'm almost half way through my frist semester and so far so good. It's going by soooooo fast too! It's to the point where I can't keep up with the day even more. I've never been so busy in my entire life. And I kind of like it... sometimes.

I'm learning so much and also learning what I don't know.. which is a lot. I've been working mostly with pretty nice and decent patients, but when you get a patient who just thinks you're annoying, is kind of impatient with you, and won't let you help them, then it's discouraging because you're so awkward, shy, and insecure in those situations. You don't know how to handle it and then you think you're going to be the worst nurse in the world! lol. So I have a lot to learn on dealing with that. I have to keep telling myself it can't be learned overnight!

I'm not going to lie, the first 5 weeks were pretty rough for me though. It was mostly due to my lack of motivation. I just couldn't find it... and then just these past few days it's come back full force somehow and I feel that even though I've been a little discouraged today, I really don't want to stop trying. At the end of the day I'm starting to realize that I want to not only help, but to figure out how to help. Understanding how things relates is facsinating, yet overwhelming. Asking questions and trying to find new questions to ask and trying to figure it all out in my brain is a lot more than I thought it was going to be. This whole new world is hard, but it's really.... wow.

4 comments:

  1. It's like Dori says: Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... You can do it! Your brain has to feel like it's going to explode at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep me motivated just by reading your blog! You must have alot on your plate right now, but it sounds like you are handling it well. The hardest part when you feel like that is to get out of the cycle! Way to go friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be a great nurse! Just remember that they call it "practicing medicine" for a reason... Even DRs aren't 100% everyday, so try not to stress over your crabby patients. It's not you, it's the being poked or prodded that made them irritable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for making it this far! You're building a foundation for strong nursing skills...good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Voting