Thursday, January 22, 2009

"I can't earn if I can't learn!"

So I let you go and I watch you leave and
I hold my breath so you don't hear me scream.
But the words are only in my head...
It's not what I said, it's what I didn't say...
I'm the one who loses in the end.
-Saving Jane

I apologize in advance for the long blog but this is a new day in history, particularly for Nevada. We already know what's happening with the economy and how it's effecting us; including our education system. The Governor of Nevada wants to fix that by cutting the budget for higher education by 50% or more! That's cutting UNLV's budget up to 60% (this was stated at the rally, I don't have a source on the correct percentage, but a cut will hurt education in Nevada no matter what the numbers are).


Instead of sitting back, UNLV held a rally today to protest and I was there; it was great to see so many supporters. I've been a resident of Nevada for 2 and a half years now. Not long, but long enough to care about the education system since I'm a junior and I'm on my way to entering my program and graduating. And I want my degree to matter; if the cuts go through I might as well be attending a junior college or a training school. My four year degree will cost a lot more than it'll be worth!


If the budget goes into effect these are some of the consequences:

  • Potential tuition increases
  • Fewer classes available
  • Increased class sizes
  • Additional layoffs of top-notch teachers and staff
  • Elimination of entire degree programs
  • Reduced student services such as Financial Aid, Advising, Tutoring and Library Access
  • Diminished student activities and events, including athletics
  • Thousands of Nevada students turned away due to enrollment caps

Nevada's education system is ranked one of the lowest in the country. Would cutting back help improve this? Definitely not. It doesn't make sense and education suffers enough in Nevada. Not only will this have an impact on the students, but it'll also effect jobs, Alumni, future UNLV students, and the future of Nevada itself. We all deserve the right to higher education and the right to quality. We deserve to get what we pay for.



Visit that website to find out more information and to find out ways you can help if you live in the Nevada area. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Geeeezzzz.... That sucks! Hopefully someone gets a brain and stops that from going through.

    ReplyDelete

Voting